Friday 7 March 2014

a wish for perpetual sunshine at the place i call home

Every other Friday is incredibly special for Alfie and I.
It is our 'Lunch with Lisa' day and with a bit more of a spring in our step than usual, we head out for a drive over to Cardiff Bay.  We rush out of the car park and head straight into the Millenium Centre where Lisa is usually waiting for us, sitting in our favourite spot on the settees, where we sit and catch up on things.  Today, for the first time, Alfie tipped his head to the side as I picked him up out of his car seat and asked if we were meeting Lisa!  I smiled and said 'yes'.  Apparently satisfied with my answer, he retrieved his bunny and tractor and let out an excited little giggle.  It was a touching moment.....

We were disappointed when our usual place to eat was closed to the public, so after a quick call to Lisa we arranged to meet on the opposite side of the waterfront.  It was then, that my disappointment quickly evaporated!  For when we turned the corner and headed just beyond the Pierhead Building, we were met with glorious sunshine and the loveliest blue sky.  Suddenly, I was reminded that the season of Spring is just around the corner........

It has to be said, Cardiff Bay and the sunshine are a perfect match when they decide that they like to be together...... I often wish they realised it more!  This past winter has felt so endless with its heavy grey-ness and constant rain.  Today was so different though.  Today, there was a soft, gentle breeze in the air and as I turned my head towards it, I breathed in slowly.  The quiet excitement I felt inside from seeing and feeling the sun, had given me a warm, fuzzy feeling.  We had a few minutes to spare so I sat on a bench and watched Alfie as he ran around happily - stopping to smile at kind strangers who didn't appear to mind too much that they were being disturbed by an inquisitive two-year old during their quiet midday walk.  When he wasn't talking to passers-by or running back and forth between me and the nearby buildings, he was gazing down at the boats, listening to the men drumming up business for their freshwater lake tours.  As I watched him I kept gazing out over the beautiful bay that seemed to sparkle as the sun hit the water.  It really was impressive.

Moments later, we spotted Lisa and Alfie ran like a bullet to catch her up!  Those little legs of his got more and more enthusiastic with every step......  I think we were both pleased when she suggested sitting at an outdoor table.

The Pierhead Building



Alfie spotting Lisa across the railings.....
I have always loved living so close to this place.  Although I live a few miles away, I always regard this place as home.  When we take our road trips through America we are often asked by locals what it's like back where we live.  Almost every time, we find ourselves talking about the Bay and how much it has changed since a few decades ago.  It's days like this that make me fall in love with it over and over again.  I know I'm biased, but seriously!  Isn't it great?  I'm really feelin' the looooove for this place today.

So well done Cardiff Bay and a grand ol' high-five to you dear sunshine!!

You did me proud today........



 


No comments:

Post a Comment